Why is Breastfeeding Important for Me?
- Breastfeeding develops a strong bond between you and your baby.
- Breastfeeding is relaxing and helps your body in these ways:
- Contracts the uterus which reduces bleeding after childbirth
- Helps you return to pre-pregnancy weight earlier
- Lowers your risk of ovarian cancer. The longer you breastfeed the lower the risk.
- May reduce the risk of cancer of the breasts and ovaries
- May help keep your bones strong
- May help prevent perinatal mood disorders, such as depression
- May decrease your chance of developing Type 2 diabetes
- Breastfeeding is free and convenient. Breastmilk is always warm and ready to feed.